A healthy taste of New Orleans!
1 onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. thyme
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (or more, for desired heat)
4 c. vegetable broth
2 bay leaves
2 c. brown rice
1 can kidney beans (optional)
1 tsp. sea salt (optional)
1. In a large pan, saute onion and garlic in a splash of water (or oil) over medium heat until tender.
2. Add celery and bell peppers and cook until just barely tender.
3. Add diced tomatoes, spices, and vegetable broth. Bring to a slow boil.
4. Add brown rice and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
5. Once the rice is tender, stir in kidney beans and salt, if desired.
6. Serve warm.
*This recipe is intended to be healthy and meat-free, but feel free to add cooked chicken, shrimp, or sausage for a more authentic New Orleans jambalaya.