Monday night is pasta night at our house and I'm always
searching for new ways to jazz things up. This time, I went
for a "meaty" sauce in place of our usual marinara.
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup TVP (textured vegetable protein) + 7/8 cup hot water
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
2 15-ounce cans of tomato sauce
2 bay leaves
2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons basil
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 16-ounce package of fettuccine (wider noodles are preferred, but spaghetti also works)
1. In a bowl, combine TVP and hot water. Let sit for 10 minutes.
2. In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil and add onion. Cook until tender. Then add garlic.
3. Add diced tomatoes, nutritional yeast, herbs, and sea salt. Stir until combined.
4. Add tomato sauce and prepared TVP. Bring to a gentle boil.
5. Add bay leaves and let simmer 2-3 hours.
6. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
7. Drain pasta and combine with bolognese sauce.
8. Top with dairy-free parmesan cheese, and serve!