As the old Southern saying goes,
"Peas for pennies, greens for dollars, and cornbread for gold".
Wishing everyone a prosperous and healthy 2019, from our family to yours.
Savory Black-Eyed Peas w/ Cauliflower
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
12 ounces frozen cauliflower
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
dash of cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1 (14-ounce) can tomato sauce
¼ cup soy sauce
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat and sauté onions and green peppers until soft.
2. Add cauliflower and cook, stirring frequently, until it is lightly browned, about 5 to 8 minutes.
3. Add garlic, cumin, chili powder, cinnamon, cayenne and salt, and cook a few more minutes.
4. Stir in black-eyed peas, tomato sauce, water, soy sauce, brown sugar and vinegar.
5. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes.