A fantastic version of an all-American classic.
We love it served with broccoli and baked beans.
Macaroni & Cheese
Recipe Source: Chloe's Kitchen by Chloe Coscarelli
1 pound elbow macaroni
¼ cup vegan butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups plant-based milk (I use soy)
½ cup nutritional yeast
2 Tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon agave
1. Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil.
2. Add macaroni and cook according to package directions. Drain and return to pot.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, make a roux or paste by whisking the butter and flour over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Add nondairy milk, nutritional yeast, tomato paste, salt, and garlic powder to the saucepan and bring to a boil, whisking frequently.
5. Reduce heat to low and let simmer until the sauce thickens.
6. Stir in lemon juice and agave.
7. Combine the pasta with the sauce, and serve.
Note: This recipe can also be top with breadcrumbs and baked in a 9x13 dish at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.