Soup season is in full swing! The weather is chilly and it is the perfect time to break out your favorite soup and stew recipes. This soup is one of my favorites.
The fennel adds a unique but wonderful flavor in this light soup
and is a perfect way to use up any extra kale.
Tuscan White Bean and Kale Soup
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 ribs of celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 large gold potatoes
2 cans of cannellini beans
½ teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
½ bunch of kale (about 5 large leaves), stemmed and chopped
6 cups water
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a pot and add onions, celery, and carrots. Cook until they begin to get tender. Then add garlic.
2. Add potatoes and water to the pot and bring to a boil.
3. Using a blender, puree 1 can of the canellini beans. Add 1-2 ladles of the soup broth to the blender.
4. Add the other can of beans and the pureed beans to the pot.
5. Add fennel, salt, and pepper, and stir.
6. Add the kale. Cook the soup until the potatoes and kale are tender.
7. Serve with toasted bread.
We enjoy this soup with a toasted baguette or French bread, drizzled with olive oil or butter.