This is one of our family's favorite soups. We enjoy it "Olive Garden style" with homemade breadsticks. I love it because it is full of delicious vegetables; my husband loves it because it goes great with breadsticks. Add a tasty side salad topped with roma tomatoes, olives, and Italian dressing for a "soup, salad, and breadsticks" trio and you won't be disappointed.
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 carrot, julienned or chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomato, drained
6 c. water
1 zucchini, halved and sliced
1 can Italian green beans, drained
1 can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 c. medium pasta shells (or 1 1/2 c. small pasta shells)
2 c. baby spinach
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. basil
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1. In a large pot, add onion, celery, carrot, and garlic. Sauté over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes.
2. Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, 6 cups of water, zucchini, Italian green beans, kidney beans, and cannellini beans. Bring to a boil.
3. Once boiling, add pasta shells and lower the heat to medium.
4. Add spinach, parsley, oregano, basil, sea salt, and black pepper. Cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes.
5. Simmer on medium-low for an hour, to allow all of the flavors to mingle.